One of the most exciting parts about preparing for a baby girl, was decorating a little girl nursery.
With tons of help from my mom, it came together perfectly!
Instead of the typical "Before and After"... I am starting with the after.
It all began with the crib.
I really wanted a metal crib, but they are pricy and I had a hard time justifying spending that much money on a crib that wouldn't get a ton of use out of it. But, I lucked out finding a great deal on a used one. It originally was an antiqued silver and gold crib. It was pretty, but it didn't go with the plan I had for the rest of the room. So I decided to paint it oil rubbed bronze. When I picked out the paint, the sample color on the cap looked a little dark, but I hoped for the best.
Dallas was nice enough to paint it for me while I was out of town. When I came back my mom and I looked at the crib and it looked really dark, almost black. I didn't want to crush Dallas and make him redo it after all the work he went to, so I bought some bronze glaze at the store to go over it. After a tedious job painting on the bronze, Dallas told me how wonderful it looked. I explained how it first looked so dark it was almost black. Then Dallas said, "It was black." And I said, no I bought Oil Rubbed Bronze Paint." He said, "Oh, I didn't see that, I used the black spray paint..." And I was floored! I went out of the way, to not disappoint him after all the work he did for me...and spent hours glazing it...when we could have just resprayed it with the correct paint. But, at least we got a really good laugh out of the whole situation...And I loved the finished product.
Dallas also helped with the dresser. He was a big help with the whole room. We took an old dresser of Dallas' papa that we had used for Landon and Mason's nurseries...and added some paint and glaze. I wish the pictures didn't turn out so dark, but I love it in the room.
I hung the blessing dress my mom made, and added her Easter gloves. I collected some old books from Aunt Alyssa and one from my Grandma.
I also saw a crystal mobile I loved...so I made one, only to realize how time consuming the project was. And how tempting it was for Mason's little hands to play with. Before I could hang it...he had the whole thing tangled in a knot. Several hours later I got it untangled and Dallas carefully hung it over the crib. The cute bedding was made by my mom and I, after searching the stores for the perfect Ballet Pink. Not pink, not peach...but somewhere in the middle. It was tedious, but worked out in the end. And my mom was amazing!
Another little portion of the inspiration for this room...was the plaque below. It says, "One shoe can change your life. -Cinderella" I loved it and I loved the green color to add with the Ballet Pink, Cream and Taupe we had going on in the room. And liked the heirloom look, with the blessing dress, and then adding my mom's baby shoes and some pearls.
So here is the nursery...before. Back when it was for Mason.
(But it is missing the old cream bumper. I had to take it down, after he ripped it off the crib.)










No comments:
Post a Comment